Monday, May 24, 2010

Rainforest


"Could you help with the trees?" she asks. All year I have helped out in Nicolas' class. Every Thursday I go in and help with math or little art projects or math games in the afternoon. It's the end of the year and testing is done and most moms are done with volunteering in the classroom. But Mrs. Stamper (Miss Johnson until recently) had one more project planned. I almost didn't go in, not thinking that I was really needed, but she sent a note home with Nicolas saying that I could come in "any time" that day. Hmm.

I went in asking where she was planning this rainforest project, picturing in my head a small dividing wall in the classroom. Not so. "Out there," she says, pointing to the entire hallway wall from the classroom door to the corner of the hallway. WHAT!! Apparently I am an expert at making rainforest trees since I did one on Mr. Gallegos' door for teacher appreciation last year. So, I went on to spend 2 hours making about 6 trees to create a rainforest. The kids in the class made the rainforest animals and undergrowth. Here are pictures of the finished project. No longer will I assume I know what a teacher wants when they ask for "help" with an art project.

No comments:

Post a Comment