Monday, May 17, 2010

End of an era


Yes, I have to admit, I cried. After the semi-final game against Timpanogos, I shed some tears. Not because we lost, although that was sad too, but because I saw the end. The end of Peter's lacrosse career, the end of that camaraderie that has grown among these boys and their parents. I have enjoyed almost every minute of Peter's lacrosse career, probably more than he did! (I have to admit some of those games in subfreezing temperatures with wind, rain and snow weren't my favorite.) I loved the relationships that I developed with the other parents and that I developed with the boys as I sat at the table by them. I will truly miss this.

I know that I still have Erik playing and that I will continue to actively be involved in the lacrosse community with him, but it will be with different people and probably different coaches. I'm sure I will enjoy every minute (well, most of them), but this is still an ending of this era.

Fortunately it ended on a very high note. First of all, Lehi has never had great record in lacrosse. We are a fairly new program and have been working so hard on improving. This year, we not only made it past the playoffs, but made it all the way to the semi-finals - only losing to the team that ended up being the champion. Fantastic! And then, Coach Freeman chose Peter as one of the all-stars and last Friday night was the All-Star game - North v South. Coach Freeman was chosen as the coach for the South team and they had, by far, a much "funner" time than the North team. It was a game for fun and they did all kinds of silly things. I am attaching a video of Peter playing - he didn't do anything exciting, but this is for those of you that may have never seen lacrosse played or haven't had the opportunity to see him play. He wore the penny with #24 because one of the other boys had already taken his #3. The North team was taking the game seriously, but just couldn't get past us, so instead of having the game turn ugly, Coach just made it fun. The North team finally put their entire team on the field and still couldn't get past the South so some extra "cheating" had to go on since they were the hosts and "had" to win. It was all just fun to watch and to play, so Peter says.

Thank you, Peter for finding this exciting sport and letting Dad and I be a part of it. It was a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment