Monday, June 13, 2011

The Year of the Grape

 
My vision, from the year we moved here, was to have grapevines covering our fence the length of our property. About 3 years ago, we finally got our first grape plants in. Last year one of the 5 plants we have put in so far produced a few bunches of grapes and what a feeling of accomplishment that was! This year, due perhaps in part to the cold wet spring we have enjoyed, all but one of our grape plants have tiny baby grapes. I know this may not sound blog-worthy, but if you don't think so, you have never grown a garden or fruit trees. The thrill of seeing the first shoots pop out of the ground, the joy of seeing the fruit tree blossoms evolve into little nubs that will become apples, pears and peaches, the euphoria of biting into a fruit of your labor; it's like creating a work of art.

This weekend I was giddy when I saw bunches and bunches of grapes on all but one of our plants (one we had to replace this spring so I didn't have any illusions that it would produce this year). I can't get enough of looking at them. They are so cute!!!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment