Monday, March 14, 2011

Mother's ring

Okay, I had to wait over week to post this in case Mom read my blog before her birthday.  But I must preface it by saying, "I HATE JEWELRY STORES!".  I hope I never have to spend 6 hours straight at jeweler's again.  Mom better take really good care of that ring! :-) 
Dad called Mark several weeks ago and said that the one thing he would like us all to get for Mom's birthday is a new mother's ring as she lost hers years ago.  He provided some of the money and we siblings all agreed to cover the rest, but the brothers were not sure about picking a ring out so that fell to the girls.  Marcia covered Zales and looked online, I scoured websites and then Alison and I spent an entire day going from jeweler to jeweler to jeweler trying to find the perfect ring.  Shane Co, Jared, Morgan, back to Shane Co, Shubach, and several others - it was a long day.  It almost reminded me of working at the Gap, being accosted by a salesperson the instant you walk in the door.  Of course the Gap doesn't have men in suits wandering around with shifty eyes, watching every move though. I felt like a criminal except in Morgan Jewelers where we were offered a drink while we looked.  I was amazed by the wide range in prices for the same type ring - white gold with 5 stones.  There is 10 carat, 14 carat, sterling silver (dirty words to the jewelers apparently), synthetic stones, genuine stones, opal vs pink tourmaline for October, round, marquis, princess cut, order of the stones (birth order vs aesthetically pleasing order), yikes!
After the day of shopping, and going out to lunch, of course, Alison presented our findings to the brothers and Marcia and we came up with a winner.  And it was.  Tears flowed, the ring went on immediately and didn't come off again.  It is beautiful and Mom had the best birthday ever.  I can't think of a more deserving mother in the whole world!  Love you, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment