Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lacrosse Mom

Lacrosse dominates my life every spring and usually fall (until Peter discovered cross country) and I figured I should write something about it . . .
Peter is the one with the hair in the center, not yet wearing his jersey

Before I had children I had decided that my boys would play hockey. I REALLY wanted hockey players. Then I had Peter and then Erik and I knew I would not have a hockey player. Both boys were, shall we say, cautious in the extreme. After Peter scraped his knee when he was 2 and screamed for what seemed like hours, I realized that he was not going to be cut out for a rough sport. We made sure that he was well protected from "owies" all of his childhood, though we didn't have to because he made sure of that himself.
Erik has also always been a cautious child, though not to the same extreme. He is a bit more adventurous, but still, not a hockey player. And Nicolas? Same as Peter. Not a hockey player.
I gave up my dream of being a hockey mom long ago and figured after a couple years of soccer (Peter was more interested in picking flowers and chatting with players), that sports were not in the cards.

Peter is #3

Then came lacrosse. I remember lacrosse. Lacrosse was cool in my high school. We had a good team at Cheshire High. But in UTAH? Unheard of! Peter came home in 7th grade saying that he wanted to play lacrosse and said that several boys in the neighborhood were playing. "Really?" I said. I wanted more information and he didn't get it and Peter didn't play that year. He learned his lesson and in the fall of 8th grade he made sure to give me all the information he could find. Lacrosse was just starting in our area and there wasn't much, but enough for me to get him registered. And we were hooked! It's not the cheapest sport, but not hockey-pricey either. But, man, it is fun to watch! I think it is one of the best spectator sports ever. Of course me, being me, can't just sit and watch. I had to get involved also. Team parent and score/time/statkeeper within one season. Now I eat, sleep, breathe lacrosse right along with the boys. Maybe I should learn how to play? Jared is just as bad - he's assistant coaching! I love the boys, the coaches and the excitement of the game. I hope Erik continues to play all through high school so I can continue to enjoy it since Peter only has one more year.
Now Marin wants to play also. Shall we make it the official family sport? Our hip-hopping Markee can be the official cheerleader.

No comments:

Post a Comment